I Don't Get Mammograms Nor Colonoscopies - Dr. McDougall Explains Why You Shouldn't Either!

 I don't get mammograms nor colonoscopies.  I never have, and more than likely, never will.  Ever.  

In this post, I share the American Cancer Society's recommendations for screenings, and their dietary recommendations, along with a recent video by Dr. McDougall showing studies that indicate most cancer screenings may be doing more harm than good.  I also briefly recount my own personal experiences using a diet change to resolve my own potentially pre-cancerous breast condition.


A colorful, beta-carotene-rich diet with ample greens, cruciferous vegetables, along
with whole grains, and plant proteins ~ sometimes including plant-based 'meats'
helped me completely reverse / restore full breast health back in 2011
when Don and I first went vegan. 


I Don't Get Mammograms Nor Colonoscopies

Personally, I don't even remember when I last saw a gynecologist or medical doctor for a regular health screening, aside from voluntarily ordering lipid panels or blood tests, which I could do locally without a doctors visit.

I recall being in my forties, and putting off those recommended screenings, especially mammograms.  Just the thought of having my breasts laid bare on a cold machine and pressed flat like a pancake, while receiving a small dose of radiation caused me to recoil.  Having some type of scope shoved up through my intestines wasn't very enticing either.

Even with all the health challenges I had since young, including horrible allergies, anemia, persistent skin break outs, and many major illnesses including contracting dysentery, parasites, and Hep A from eating some bad raw shrimp ceviche while traveling through Mexico, a bad kidney infection, and others, I always let my body heal with the minimal, least invasive 'inputs' as possible.  I preferred to 'let nature take its course' and allow my body the rest, and possibly any natural foods or herbs needed to recover.

In 2021, when I took T. Collin Campbell's Plant Based Nutrition Certification course, I learned that it takes 10 years before a cancer cell replicates itself enough to be detectable ~ barely.  After ten years of duplicating, a lump around the size of the top of a pencil eraser can possibly be palpated.  So, if a lump is detected during 'early screening,' it's likely already been multiplying itself for many years.

I've observed clients and acquaintances go through the standard treatment protocols for breast and other cancers.  It's no fun.  Chemotherapy may 'kill' cancer, but it can 'kill' your immune system and vitality as well.  People are pressured into making decisions to discuss options with an oncologist almost immediately upon receiving a dreaded cancer diagnosis. Yet, what patients don't realize is that in many cases, you can live a healthy, mostly normal life without jumping into standard treatments.  

Early detection, and super harsh and invasive protocols including chemotherapy and radiation are not exactly extending people's lives.  But I'll let Dr. McDougall explain why he doesn't recommend anyone getting a mammogram or colonoscopy ~ with few exceptions ~ in the video below.  He shows with graphics why the claim that these cancer screenings saves lives is misleading, along with studies showing that more lives are ruined than saved from these procedures.

In the first half hour of this recording of his live weekly Zoom conference calls he hosts every Sunday evening, Dr. McDougall discusses studies he has been aware of for decades, and newer research supporting what he has long known.  In a nutshell,  data indicates that there is no benefit, and in fact there is often more damage caused by getting cancer screenings.

I highly recommend watching it if you or someone you love is concerned about getting these cancer detection screenings, or has been recently told they have cancer.

There is hope.  Unfortunately, it's scary to receive such a diagnosis.  I'm sure it can make you feel as though your world was just turned upside down.  Each person will need to decide what is their best course of action, ideally with a trusted advocate to help navigate the choppy cancer waters during such a potentially challenging time.

When we are engulfed with fear, we become quite vulnerable.  Many people are quick to schedule with an oncologist and get treatments going quickly, just as they are urged to do.  Oftentimes, this is unnecessary  Plenty of people receiving a cancer diagnosis choose to opt out of standard protocols, and live well with their cancer for years.

Don and I have seen many people's health destroyed ~ or end ~ unnecessarily, had they simply had the wherewithal to take a step back, breathe, calm down, meditate on it, pray on it, and do some research. 


Soy foods have been studied and found to be very beneficial for health for 
many reasons, including protection against both breast and prostate cancer
Tofu Vegetable Stir Fry with Tomato-Peanut Sauce & QB Broccoli with 
High Lignan Flax Oil, Lemon & Lemon Pepper

 

No matter how 'extreme' some folks like to label a plant-based, vegan diet, it's far less extreme than taking chemical cocktails that cause your hair to fall out, nausea, headaches, and other symptoms.  It's far less extreme than getting an elective, 'pre-emptive' surgery to have your breasts or other body parts removed.  

That's just my opinion.  I know every case is different and each must make their own decisions.  However, it's at least worth watching the first 30 minutes of the video below.  

Dr. McDougall Shares Studies About Cancer Screenings



Culture of Promoting Fear

We live in a culture that promotes fear.  Promoting fear keeps people in check, and easier to control, or manipulate into getting expensive and invasive surgeries, harsh drugs and procedures.

Just realize that hospitals and pharmaceutical companies, oncologists, and others do not earn as much profit if the majority of the population is well, and not in need of their services and products.

Produce-rich, plant-dominant diets have been shown to help reverse and prevent cancer.  Dr. McDougall has successfully helped many women heal from breast and other cancers over the years.  You can read more about it on his website.

After watching the above video, I was glad that my instincts spared me from going through those screenings.  I've made plenty of (seeming) mistakes in my life.  Thankfully, I did trust my intuition or instincts when it really mattered.

According to what Dr. John McDougall explains on his website,

"Breast cancer is a dominant fear for many women.  Fortunately, it's also largely a preventable disease with the right diet and a healthy lifestyle.  Contrary to what most people hope for, early detection by mammography causes more harm than good.  Radical surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy are brutal remedies universally prescribed to women with breast cancer, yet they provide little survival benefit.  Hormone manipulation is of some value, however the best and most overlooked approach for treating breast cancer is a change in diet and exercise."

We definitely miss our first years of being
vegan, 2011-2017

My Potential Breast Cancer Scare

I already reversed a potentially pre-cancerous breast condition when we first went vegan.  My breasts were excruciatingly tender, lumpy, fatty and uneven in size.  Within a few months of adding back foods I had been avoiding while following a paleo diet, namely whole grains, beans, soy foods, flax seeds, and other plant foods, my condition was completely resolved.  Don was also having prostate issues, and has a family history of prostate cancer, and skin cancer.  His condition reversed as well.  It's hard to believe with that kind of direct experience we ever stopped eating a (mostly) whole foods, plant-based, vegan macrobiotic diet, but we did.



As I said, I've made plenty of mistakes.  I wrote about our unexpected gift, and transition back to macrobiotics, here, and why we gave up dairy here, along with my amazing recent macrobiotic diet weight loss, after having been stalled on my achieving my ideal body composition for many years.  Thankfully, we regrouped, and returned 'home to our hearts.'

Knowing first hand the power of food, I'll pass on the screenings.  I don't get mammograms nor colonoscopies.  I let my body heal to the best of its ability through a balanced, well-planned natural foods, plant-based diet, healthy lifestyle habits, and by engaging my imagination and the universal life force to heal using guided imagery.

In case you are interested, the following are the American Cancer Society (ACS) recommendations for cancer screenings.  If you want to dig deeper, just do a little research, and follow the money.

American Cancer Society Screening Recommendations 

According to the American Cancer Society, women of 'average risk' meaning no personal or family history of breast cancer, nor no known genetic predisposition increasing risk for cancer should get screened yearly between the ages of 45 to 54, with an option to start at age 40.

The recommended age for getting a colonoscopy for someone of 'average risk' has been lowered from age 50 to age 45 due to a 1% increase in deaths of people under age 55, despite an overall reduction in colorectal cancer rates. 

The American Cancer Society  determines someone to be of average risk if the following criteria are met:

  • There is no personal or family history of colorectal cancer or certain types of polyps
  • There is no personal history of inflammatory bowel diseases such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease
  • There is no personal history of getting radiation to the abdominal or pelvic area to treat a prior cancer
  • There are no known hereditary / genetic predisposition to 'colorectal cancer syndrome'
"People who are in good health and with a life expectancy of more than 10 years should continue regular colorectal cancer screening through the age of 75."

Beyond that, it's considered a personal choice depending upon individual circumstances.

The ACS has many partners, including several pharmaceutical companies, Genentech, Bank of America, SleepMember, Kohl's, Beyond Meat, and many others.  Beyond Meat's involvement is public health and prevention, "by supporting ongoing diet data collection through the Cancer Prevention Study-3 (CPS-3).

Here are the dietary recommendations for cancer prevention:

  • Increase foods high in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in amounts that help you get to and stay at a healthy body weight (because obesity increases risk for some cancers, along with many other diseases including heart disease and diabetes).
  • Include a colorful variety of fruits and vegetables n the diet, especially those with darker colors (as they are higher in carotenoids, antioxidants and polyphenols.)
  • Increase consumption of whole grains including whole wheat bread and brown rice
  • Increase consumption of fiber-rich beans and peas (legumes)
  • Decrease (minimize or avoid) red meats (beef, lamb, pork) and processed meats, including bacon, sausage, deli meats and hot dogs.
  • Decrease (minimize or avoid) highly process and refined foods, and sugar-sweetened beverages.

People have all sorts of ideas about which foods are healthy or necessary for human health.  I've already learned from direct experience.  At age 60, with a history of many health issues, and poor lifestyle choices, deviations from my current way of eating and living affect me quickly.  I'm all in for a vegan, whole foods, plant-based macrobiotic diet.

But I don't get mammograms nor colonoscopies.  

Of course, I am not a medical doctor and am not giving advice.  Personally, if I were not already following a whole foods, plant-based diet, and were to have a cancer scare, like I already nearly had, I would immediately go on a whole foods, plant-based diet, like I did.  Then do some further research.  




Comments

Popular Posts