Three Great Song Videos Celebrating Life ~ Including Loss of A Life, A Way of Life & Innocence

Here are three great song videos celebrating life, that I think are worth watching:  Somewhere Over The Rainbow celebrates the legacy of one man's life ~ the singer of the song, Cherokee People mourns the loss of a Way of life, & Return To Innocence tugs at our hearts as we recognize the bittersweet loss of innocence that marks the human experience.  My DJ picks for this weekend share three universal themes.

Who doesn't love to play DJ every now and then?  For me, the spirit usually comes over unexpectedly, with an inner urge to play certain songs, especially those I loved during my youth that I now rarely hear.  I love playing a sequence of music that can take us back in time, enliven our mood, and stir up the fire energy within.  

Sometimes, however, the songs I choose triggers something else.  A feeling that's less definable.  Something more bittersweet.  Like these three songs that I spontaneously played while driving with Don yesterday:  (I included a fun bonus song at the end!)

What is so special about these three amazing song videos that make them worth watching?

Maybe it's just my sentimental side, but they each touch me deeply for different reasons.  Each speaks poignantly ~ to me ~ about  life.  Themes of celebration, community, innocence, inevitable death, and the powerful underlying human desire to belong, and live as sovereigns. 

When we see how fleeing life can be, it (hopefully) inspires us to live more fully each moment.

I first heard Israel's version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow years ago, in a movie.  I don't recall which movie.  But it has since been  one of those songs that as soon as I would hear it playing ~ wherever I happened to be ~ I would perk up, tune in, and start singing along.  I couldn't help myself.  

In this version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow, I learned a little more about the singers life.  The video is a celebration of his life as people from what appears to be of common ancestry gather to spread his ashes in the Makua ocean in his native Hawaii.  

The life of Iz ~ also referred to as Buddha ~ lives on in his music ~ and in the ocean for which his ashes were spread.  A short life, but a big one ~ as witnessed by the extensive show of people celebrating his life.  And his sweet, beautiful voice.


"Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high... 
And the dreams that you dreamed of, they really do come true."

Many statues and images show Buddha with a huge belly, sometimes referring to that depiction as the Laughing Buddha.  His big belly symbolic of his ability to digest all of life, the joy and the pain.  He transmutes suffering into joy.  

In Cherokee People, we are reminded of displacement of a people, and a way of life.  The loss of sovereignty of a people to express themselves as themselves, according to their own customs and way of living.  

Unfortunately, a (relatively small) group of people in charge at that time ordered this displacement.  Other rule followers assisted in accomplishing the mission.  Many if not the majority of ordinary people were either unaware, or against these acts, but who would know that?  That isn't what the history books teach us. 





 "Although I wear a suit and tie, I'm still a Red Man deep inside."  

"Maybe once we learn, Cherokee Nation will return."



This is especially poignant as it's still happening.  You just need to have the eyes to see it.


Return To Innocence shows a life lived in reverse.  We see a man at the end of his life,  in life review, going backwards to the very beginning.  Birth.  

Life.  Death.  Rebirth.  Cycles of Nature.

The life of these villagers may not be replete with modern conveniences.  By today's standards, they may appear as peasants, growing their own food.  Tending to the flocks.  Making pottery.  Plucking a juicy ripe pear from the tree.  From youth, to young love, to marriage, creating a family, and sharing in life with others within the village.



"Don't be afraid to be weak.  Don't be too proud to be strong.  Just look into your heart, my friends, that will be the return to YOUR SELF, the return to innocence."

"Don't care what people say, just follow your own way."



These three amazing song videos remind me that we all desire to connect, celebrate life, and thrive.

We are all one, and simultaneously, we best thrive when connected to our roots.  The healthiest and longest lived populations that live in areas dubbed the Blue Zones have several traits in common, not the least of which is a strong sense of community, shared values, and similar ancestry.  

Perhaps this is why these three videos have always touched me so deeply.  I yearned for that deeper connection among others of shared ancestral roots.  People feel safer being themselves when among others of shared values and common roots.  It's natural.  Sadly, I believe many of us are missing this, and don't even know it.  That said, perhaps the lockdowns of 2020 reminded people of the importance of remaining connected, seen, and valued.

These three amazing song videos ~ Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Cherokee People & Return To Innocence ~ taken together show us how short life can be.  How fragile.  How painful.  And how beautiful.  

I thought I'd add a bonus son.  Just for fun.  You might want to get up and dance with the apes on this one!



"Your'e such a silly woman, you put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up....then call me in the morning.  I say, wooowoo..."
The celebration of one man's life, the loss of a people's way of life, and the innocence of life, witnessed in one man's life seen lived in reverse.  These themes are so universal, I thought it would be worth sharing.

Well, what do you think?  How do you feel as you listen to and watch these three amazing song videos?

Which older songs do you find meaningful, or that trigger a sense of nostalgia for you?  Please let me know in the comments!  And, thanks for watching!

#soundtrackofmylife #somewhereovertherainbow #returntoinnocence #enigma #cherokeepeople

Comments

Popular Posts